Parasites are not something everyone wants to think about on a regular basis, but the reality is, they can affect your pet and potentially affect you. But have no fear, controlling these less-than-desirable pests is easier than ever. Parasites are fleas and worms that pose zoonotic (transferrable to humans) risks.
While these little creatures are the high jumpers of the insect world, we don't want them around showing off their talents. They not only bite your pets but you as well. They are also a way to transfer worms into your pet.
Do I need to keep my pet on flea control all year? YES!!
Unfortunately living in this beautiful city has one major drawback. We have fleas all year long. Victoria, being so temperate, doesn’t get cold enough to kill off fleas. Fleas thrive in our climate and while they become less active in the winter, they are still around. They are particularly noticeable in the spring and summer months.
If your pet goes outdoors it is a good idea to keep them on flea control year round so that they don’t bring in fleas to your house. Fleas don’t live on your pet. They live in the carpets and furniture of your house and outside in shady areas of lawns and gardens. The jump on and off your pet to eat.
Be sure to discuss your pets flea care program each time you visit one of our veterinarians!.
Parasite Prevention (worms and mites and ticks - Oh My!)
Parasites, like round, tape and hookworms are all serious health risks for not only your pets but yourself as well. They are called a zoonotic risk since they can transfer to humans.
Heartworm is a potentially deadly type of worm that must be carefully treated. Thankfully, Vancouver Island doesn't have heartworm but if you are travelling to the interior, USA or to some easterly provinces, be pro-active and start heartworm preventative before the trip and commit to treating during and after the trip if necessary.
Ticks and ear mites are also parasites that can be harmful to your pet, but thankfully there is simple and effective treatment available through your veterinarian.
What products are available?
Please note: Shaw Pet Hospitals is able to dispense deworming medication to their clients that has been seen by our veterinarians within the last 18 months.
- Program– Taken orally on a monthly basis. This product makes the fleas sterile.
- Advantage– Topical monthly product which kills fleas on contact.
- Advantage Multi– Topical monthly product which treats for fleas, deworms and parasite control.
- Revolution– Topical monthly product which treats for fleas, deworms and parasite control. The flea must bite the animal for this product to work.
- Interceptor– Oral tablet to deworm your pet. This can be used as little as every 3 months to as often as every month.
- Drontal– The ONLY product available to treat for tapeworms.
- Siphotrol– Premise spray which kills adults and inhibits growth regulators.
- Milbemax- Only available for felines. This oral tablet will treat for tapeworms, hookworms, roundworms and heartworms.
Do not be fooled by products sold in pet stores. They can be dangerous to your pets health. The products sold in veterinary clinics is proven to be safe and effective for both cats and dogs. They undergo strict testing and take into account certain breeds which may be sensitive to some medications.